Wednesday 25 March 2015

Stereotypes



My own original photographic research into Manchester as a city, personal profiles/stereotypes. I will be documenting people's thought processes and looking at how people express their personalities through the clothes they wear, the music they listen to and the things they say and do.



Stereotypes: Is this girl considered eccentric? What is normal in our society and do the people in Manchester feel intimidated by people who don't look/dress the same? I find that some people in Manchester are able to express their own personalities without being ridiculed, though on the other hand, people can be bullied for the way they present them selves or if they haven't been socially accepted by other peers and co-workers.


John Campbell: Number 1 European Jimi Hendrix Tribute Act.
John and I are very close friends through my mother and he is an exceptional guitarist and performer. He stated that the people of Manchester are his favourite to play to as they are 'a complete riot' and always a very welcoming bunch of crazies. He also thinks that the creative talent in Manchester is overwhelming but in a good sense as it is great to meet like-minded people who are filled with soul and compassion.


I took my camera out on location in Manchester to capture enduring images of my friend Ki Jeal among others. I have always had a keen interest in fashion illustration and photography, therefore I have used disparate camera angles to obtain the shots I will need for future photographic manipulation.






Stereotypes: Does music and current fashion trends influence this Man's personal appearance? Did he get bullied at school for having ginger hair? 


After numerous photoshoots and only selecting the photos I thought were relevant to the project, I decided to take a few snapshots of architecture and the city of Manchester. Hopefully during my project I will make use of some of the photos I have taken of the city and link them to the people of Manchester.


ABOVE
Individual thought processes: 
"Is this a piece of shit 1970's architecture or is it a great place to jump off?" 

In my opinion, my photograph of the building above located in Piccadilly Gardens is quite daunting and appears to be looming over the public like a mysterious figure. I applied a green cross process tint over my original image to intensify the atmosphere around the tower.



Manipulated on Photoshop to suggest the vibrancy of the city I live in yet it portrays a contrasting view of the city that could also be well known as something to be feared, especially at night.


The above photograph looks like it could have been from a collection of vintage photography as I have edited it in sepia tones and used the light of the taxi to be an off centered focal point for the landscape picture.



The woman in this photograph is on her phone, as is the man carrying his shopping... Is this a taste of the future people of Manchester? Will we all be oblivious to the things in our environment? Does new technology make us isolated and unsociable individuals? Though we all have different traits we are all being sucked into the new world of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment