Sunday 17 May 2015

FINAL PIECE



IMPORTANT NOTICE: To those who are marking my blog, when reaching the end of the page, please press 'Older Posts' on the bottom right to view more as it is not a continuous scrolling blog. Thankyou!




So I've began to develop my ideas for my final piece which I have decided to design a series of posters reflecting my personal relationships with the people of Manchester. Each portrait has an outline of either red or blue, as black would have been too overpowering and would have been an extreme contrast onto pastel paper. Furthermore, I have applied these colours to make the overall image brighter as posters are created to capture the attention of their audience and so that the viewer can identify the sex of each person. 

During my personal Photoshop sessions, I experimented with different compositions after scanning all my portraits onto computer and I then changed the opacity of the faces so that when I layered the images, outlines from other drawings could be seen from underneath.
I contemplated having my portraits in various sizes so that the viewer would have to look more carefully at each individual face. 


These poster ideas above are other experimental/developing pieces in which I have manipulated and exploited in several ways. I will now compare the layouts to see which will be most appropriate for my final outcome. As I have previously used one of the drawings for the UNIT X exhibition on my postcard, I am torn between the decision of using the postcard illustration in my final poster so that the two link together or if I should generate something entirely fresh and new.

The portraits I have sketched have been used to frame the poster so that I can incorporate Mancunian slang/slogans into the centre. These Mancunian quotations will be taken from my book of little quotes that I have created from when I have personally heard people in Manchester say silly/strange things in public. I'm hoping that by using these quotations this will combine my traditional drawing methods with contemporary and modern, graphic art and illustraton typography.



Above: Larger layout of poster - possibility. 



I have continued to develop my ideas and experiment on Photoshop by layering backgrounds and typography to create the poster I desire. As the city of Manchester is vastly growing economically, creatives are drawn to its core which is an exhilarating experience for the striving artists of Manchester. We are given great opportunities to collaborate with like-minded people; the people of Manchester and share intuitive ideas whilst producing masterpieces of all genres. Furthermore, as our cultural scene is blossoming, Manchester is transforming into an dangerously exciting urban territory which is why I am incorporating graffiti, woodblock print and bold features to make my poster look gritty yet vibrant. These elements will reflect how I personally see the city and its people.


   

Layers upon layers. My layering method represents the transience  of people and captured images/moments in time. Architecture in Manchester can be used as a symbol to represent the places of the city which is why I have used a building that is situated in Piccadilly Gardens as a background my poster.

Applying the woodblock print typography to one of the designs was an experimentation that would highlight the whereabouts of the building and the people, which links together the piece as a whole. In my opinion, I believe that by using all of the components together that the overall layout appears to be fussy and unorganised and therefore I will continue to improve and enhance my ideas.




Though the above design is quite different to my previous developing ideas, I think that the patterns and textures that the Parish map conveys from underneath the faces of the Manchester are effective and enticing yet understated and ultra-fine due to the chosen pastel colours.



FINAL DESIGN 



No comments:

Post a Comment