Saturday 16 May 2015

Self Reflection & Conclusion


 So Today I have analysed all the sketches I have done within my sketch books and collected all the data from the different artists I have researched for this project to create my final outcome for UNIT X. I'd like to create a poster related to the people in Manchester; suggesting that even though we are from different backgrounds and originate from different parts of the world that we are one as a community - and without the people in Manchester, Manchester as city would not be how it is today.

Throughout this project I have explored my personal relationships with individuals in Manchester and how we connect to the city and to each other. Whilst progressing through my work, I have kept the titled theme in mind : 6 DEGREES OF SEPARATION. I found that the Easter 6x6 project was a way for me to start drawing and experimenting with portraits as I was finding it difficult drawing my subject matter - people in spaces - due to anxiety whilst drawing in public areas. A while after I began to draw people in Manchester (whilst sat among complete strangers) , I began to feel confident drawing figures which then made me move onto developing and focusing on the personal profiles of individuals in Manchester.


Experimenting using different techniques to portray my chosen people of Manchester.


 These line drawings were drawn whilst I was sat in The Arndale Shopping Centre in Manchester.



If I were to be honest, within the first few weeks of UNIT X I was not sure in which direction I wanted to go in. I had so many ideas for this project that they clouded my mind and were generally too large to focus on. However, eventually after exploring the ideas of migration, different forms of portraiture, transience and overlapping stills of moments in time, I focused on my personal relationship with the people of Manchester - why I found them interesting - what interesting/bizarre thoughts and ideas they had - and have tried to translate this language into illustrations.

Throughout UNIT X I have been inspired by various Artists, Photographers and Illustrators. 
Nathaniel Russell - because of his contemporary insight into the illustration world and his minimalist line drawings that convey an array of emotions and traits of his characters. 
Sophie Henson - for her contrasting use of font and language and simple line drawings.




No comments:

Post a Comment